When Does the Narwhal Bacon?

Tuesday, September 11, 2012
I always knew that one day my skills as a Redditor would be put to good use. All the time that I should have been studying or working on homework but instead spent it surfing Reddit was not a waste and it has prepared me for this moment for this class-required blog post. So take that society! For those unfortunate few who have not had the chance to experience Reddit I high recommend taking a look. Once you look past all the pictures of cats and reposts you will find a thriving community. Reddit is made up of a countless number of what are called "subreddits" and theses "subreddits" cover just anything you can think of. Members of Reddit post to these "subreddits" and other members can either up vote or down vote a post. You can also comment on posts and have "discussions" with one another. But most of the time it ends up being a long string of puns, which are usually hilarious. You also have the ability to up vote or down vote comments and they are listed in accordance to the number of up votes they get. Recently the President of the United States, Barack Obama, did what is called an AMA where people, are able to ask questions and whoever is doing the AMA, usually famous people, answer these questions. There were so many people that viewed this that it crashed to website for a short period of time. I have been a "lurker" on Reddit for many years and have been a member for over year now. I'll let you know that I personally have 27 link karma and 2 comment karma, which I am very proud of.

I could talk for hours about Reddit, which shows how much of a personal life I have, but that is not the point of this blog post. The particular "subreddit" that most closely relates to my field of study is r/engineering. And here is a link http://www.reddit.com/r/engineering. Here people can post questions they have about engineering or have discussions or anything interesting that is relative to the field. One post is a link to a website called techcrunch.com and the article has to do with a new electric motorcycle created by a company called Lit Motors. It is called the C-1 and according to them it is "untippable" It is the world's first gyroscopically stabilized, two-wheeled, electric vehicle. The initial price is going to be around $24,000 and it is set to release in 2014. It is expected to top 100 mph, has an estimated range of up to 200 miles, and will go from 0-60 in around 6 seconds, which is faster than most cars.

I hope I have been able to give you some insight into the world of Reddit and if you have some time to kill, a lot of free time, or no personal life I recommend you take a look. A word of warning: it is very addicting and easy to get caught up in it, especially if you have the Reddit Enhancement Suit with never ending Reddit turned on.

P.S. AT MIDNIGHT