My Major

Tuesday, August 21, 2012
I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering Technology. When I tell this to people they always ask whats the difference between that and regular Mechanical Engineering and the best way I can describe it is in MET there is more of a hands on approach than regular ME. So MET courses usually involve more actually working with the different machines, equipment, and programs used in various manufacturing and design processes in the real world. Regular ME is more focused on theory and therefore is much broader. This is why MET is much more appealing to me because I prefer to work with my hands and to get into things to see how they work. I also chose this major because it is a very extensive field with many different job opportunities. At this moment I am leaning more to the design aspect of the field and possibly going into the automotive industry. I have always liked cars so I would really like to get a job in either the design or manufacturing process of the automotive industry. Professionals in this field discuss things like how can this product be produced faster? Is this the most cost effective to manufacture this product? How to cut down on material while retaining structural integrity? Such this is vast field with many different professions to choose from there is an endless number of questions that are discussed. If I do go into the automotive industry the contribution I would like to make is to help push the advancement of alternative fuel vehicles, whether it be hydrogen, electric, or bio fuel. I would like to be able to say I helped to make the gasoline powered car obsolete. If I could have any part in that I will be happy.